Walk Registration Forms
Those of our members who walk with us regularly will know that at the beginning of each walk, the leader asks each participant to complete an entry line on one of the walk registration forms. These come as two variants - the first for Worcester Group members and the second for visitors.
It may sometimes seem tedious to provide this information and recently it has become apparent that the level of legibility and extent of completion has deteriorated somewhat.
It seems appropriate therefore to remind members why our Group collects this information:
1. The leader and back marker need to know how many and who are on the walk in the event of people
getting separated from the main group.
2. The recent incident involving one of our members has reinforced the need to be able to provide clear witness and victim contact number details for emergency service and insurance company purposes.
The contact number should be a personal mobile or land line number although a mobile number if also
carried on the walk could be especially useful in the event of separation.
3. In the event of a third party insurance claim, it is important to have advance evidence that an individual was an official participant on a walk.
4. The membership number is used to cross reference the name and to identify if any individuals are
abusing our ‘three walks for free’ policy e.g. by continuing to walk with us when their membership has
lapsed or by pretending to be a member in the first place. These have happened in the past!
5. The overall data is collected and used to monitor the ‘health’ of our Group over time and this in turn
informs our focus and decision making.
Could we all please take care to complete the entry line clearly and fully and remind walk leaders to take the registration forms with them on the walk rather than leaving them in their car.
Fortunately incidents serious enough to be reported are uncommon, but - see 2. above - if such an incident should occur it is pertinent that walk leaders have an understanding of the required information and preferably have a copy of the incident form to which they can refer. This form can be found via the useful links on Submit a Walk/Walk Leaders Checklist on the Volunteer pages of the Ramblers Association website in Volunteer Zone user guide.